Friday, May 8, 2009

Night Terrors


This little girl here, has night terrors. It's no big deal anymore. At least it isn't most of the times. We've known about it for quite some time. We think she gets them from me. I think she started having them when she was 2 or 3. When she first started them, we had no clue what was going on. She would run into our room screaming and crying and then run out of our room looking for me. And I would run after her, get into her face, and ask "What's wrong!?!" And she would say "I want MOMMY! I want MOMMY!" Ummm, Darlin' I'm right here. We finally caught on that she wasn't fully awake, and no matter what we did, she wasn't wakin' up. Our doctor clued us in, and told us a horror story about how he had them as a child, and would wake up in the morning with dirty feet from climbing out his bedroom window!!!!!!!!! Thankfully, she hasn't tried the great escape yet. But we are gonna bolt our doors and block our windows. She has gotten much better with them, and goes a long time without them. But then one night she will just pop up and come running again. There's nothing you can do. I've read where moms were giving their children Benadryl, I guess to put them further under. But I just can't do that. There was one week that she was doing it nightly, so I finally called her new pedi, and he said there's nothing you can do, keep her completely safe, and keep taking her back to her bed. And make sure all the windows and doors are locked. Most of the time, we just tell her to go back to bed, and she will. Some nights, she's up and down for hours. One time she did this and I gave up and sat at her door. Every time I saw her hop up, I would put her back down. Her dad got home, he went in and tucked her in and kissed her goodnight, not another peep. One night she was very frantic about going to the potty, so we helped her go, she washed her hands, walked out, and got frantic again, so we helped her again. She'd sit for maybe 2 seconds, hop up, wash her hands, and walk out. She did this maybe 10 times. We finally told her, "Emma, you went, you're clean, you're safe, you've done everything you need to do. It's time to go to sleep now." That usually calms her down, and she'll go back to sleep. Usually, it's a little scary seeing her so panicy, but sometimes, she's so funny, and it relieves the tension of her having these terrors. Which leads me to just the other night. The girls had gone to bed and were asleep and Neil and I were watching tv. Emma runs in with a HUGE grin on her face and says, "Momma! I finally found...umm...I finally found my...ummm...(we know she's asleep because she has a hard time finishing a thought)...I finally found my....my FRECKLES!!! No, no, wait! I finally found my...um...." and then she grinned real big and ran back to bed. Neil and I couldn't help but laugh and we got up to make sure she went back to bed. She had, I covered her up and told her to go to sleep and she said, "Momma will you sit with me." And she was out. She's so sweet. I love those tender moments. And we were so glad she found her adorable freckles!

No comments: